Hewlett Packard HP Officejet 6500:
Why we like it? Will work with CI system. HP uses a dual cartridge marketing strategy on this printer series (6500, 7000). Can use either a half full of ink 920 cartridge, or the more full 920XL series ink cartridge (so that is a total of 8 possible part numbers for this one printer). Uses 4 individual ink cartridges – black (over-sized cartridge, but expensive) , cyan, magenta, yellow. As mentioned, available in full (XL), or half full cartridges (no XL).
HP 920 Cartridges:
- HP 920 – CD971AN – Black ($19.99) – 420 pages*
- HP 920 – CH634AN – Cyan ($9.99) – 300 pages*
- HP 920 – CH635AN – Magenta ($9.99) – 300 pages*
- HP 920 – CH636AN – Yellow ($9.99) - 300 pages*
So figure $50.00 for a set of these. Ouch. CI system possible with these cartridges, and should be used.
HP 920XL Cartridges:
- HP 920XL – CD975AN – Black ($29.49) – 700 pages*
- HP 920XL – CD972AN – Cyan ($14.69) – 700 pages*
- HP920XL – CD973AN – Magenta ($14.69) – 700 pages*
- HP920XL – CD974AN – Yellow ($14.69) – 700 pages*
*Please. These are HP lab estimates.
So that looks like a minimum of $75.00 for a full set of these cartridges. And as always, HP tries to confuse us with double part numbers. Is it 920? or CD975AN? Both? Ok, thanks HP. And that is a $30.00 black cartridge. Will give you about the same number of prints as the Epson dual black cartridge which runs $40.00. That gets expensive, a minimum of a replacement black cartridge every 6-8 weeks if you print 200-300 times per month. CI system may be the way to go, as it is a solid printer.
- Built-in wireless printing, or Ethernet
- Memory card slots
- Auto Document Feeder (ADF)
- Duplexer for double sided printing
- Print, Copy, Scan, Fax
- 250-sheet paper tray (nice)
Included in the box:
A USB CABLE!??!
This replacing a cartridge video shows the insides of the Officejet 6000 printer – looks like an Epson or Canon configuration. Technique is the same for the Officejet 6500 and 7000 series.
Some reviews here -
And as always, on Amazon.