Hewlett Packard Photosmart C6380 Inkjet Printer:
Run of the mill all in one from HP. No fax capabilities.
Why we like it? Will work with CI system. HP uses a dual cartridge marketing strategy on this printer series (Photosmart 6388, C6350, D5460, D7560, 7000). Can use either a half full of ink 564 cartridge, or the more full 564XL series ink cartridge. Uses 5 individual ink cartridges – the large black cartridge contains pigment base ink, and the 4 other cartridges contain dye based inks (copies of the Canon inkjet printer configuration, cartridges even look the same). XL stands for the price (higher) and amount of ink in the cartridge (full).
The 564 and 564XL cartridges are the exact same physical size – HP just puts less ink in the cheaper cartridges.
HP 564 Cartridges:
- HP 564 – CB316WN – Black ($11.73) – 250 pages*
- HP 564 – CB317WN – Photo Black ($9.98) – 130 4×6 prints*
- HP 564 – CB318WN – Cyan ($9.99) – 300 pages*
- HP 564 – CB319WN – Magenta ($9.99) – 300 pages*
- HP 564 – CB320WN – Yellow ($9.99) – 300 pages*
That is $51.96 for a full set of these “half-full” inks.
HP 564XL Cartridges:
- HP 564XL – CB321WN – Black ($32.08) – 800 pages*
- HP 564XL – CB322WN – Photo Black ($17.99) – 290 4×6 photos*
- HP 564XL – CB323WN – Cyan ($17.99) – 750 pages*
- HP 564XL – CB324WN – Magenta ($17.99) – 750 pages*
- HP 564XL – CB325WN – Yellow ($17.99) – 750 pages*
That is $104.08 for a full set of FULL inks. Wow.
*Please. We seriously doubt those page count numbers. Even HP will not stand behind them:
Actual yield varies considerably based on content of printed pages and other factors. Some ink from included cartridge is used to start up the printer.
- Black print speed – 33ppm, color print speed 31ppm (again, not buying it)
- Print resolution black 600 x 600 dpi, color up to 9600 x 2400
- 2.4 inch LCD (color graphics) touchscreen
- Borderless printing up to 8.5 x 11 inches
- Scanner resolution – Optical: Up to 4800 dpi, 48-bit color
- Networking – Standard (built-in Ethernet, WiFi 802.11b/g)
- Connectivity – 2 USB, 1 Ethernet, 1 802.11g wireless
- Memory card support – CompactFlash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, Secure Digital/MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital High Capacity Card, xD-Picture Card
- 125-sheet input tray, 20-sheet automated photo tray
- OS supported – Windows XP or higher, Mac OS 10.4 or higher
- Prints to CDs or DVDs with included tray device (we prefer the Epson Artisan series internal printable CD/DVD tray, very cool)
- Uses 5 individual ink cartridges – Large black, small photo black, cyan, magenta, yellow – 564 series carts
Features missing that we would like to have –
- Duplexing – print to both sides automatically (not an option)
- No fax capabilities
What’s in the box:
- Photosmart C6380 Printer
- Power cord, and power supply
- Print head assembly
- HP 564 black cartridge (approx. 250 pages) – Low capacity
- HP 564 photo black, cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges (approx. 300 pages each) – Low capacity
- Inkjet-printable CD
- Media sample pack
- “Start here” guide/placemat